Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If I am on the wait list for a class, what’s the next step?

Students who are on the wait list as of the first day of class must attend on the first day for the best chances of being added! Students are encouraged to contact their professor prior to first day of classes and request approval to be added. In order to be added into a course, students need to submit the Add/Drop Form along with the instructor’s signature or instructor’s email approval directly to A&R. Please attach the Add/Drop form and send from your YCCD student email account only. Students are responsible for making any payments and attending class accordingly.

How can I drop my classes?

It is the student’s responsibility to drop all courses either through WebAdvisor or at the Admissions & Records Office. Students should be aware of all deadlines that are posted in the Schedule of Classes as they vary for both regular Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. It is not the responsibility of the instructor to drop the student. If the student does not drop themselves by the prescribed deadline, it can result in a failing grade.

If my transcripts from another college do not arrive on time, can I still enroll in the class?

Yes, you may register for classes as long as you are not registering for courses that require you to verify that you have met the prerequisite requirement.  If you want to register for a course that requires proof of having met a prerequisite, you must have your transcripts (official or unofficial) to verify that you have taken the prerequisite class at another college. Submit your transcript along with the Requisite Equivalency Petition to the Admissions & Records Office (in person or via email). You will be able to register for the class pending the decision of the petition.

Why am I on probation?

There are two different kinds of probation, Academic and Progress probation.

  • Academic Probation: A student who has attempted at least 12 semester units of the Yuba Community College District classes as shown by the official academic record shall be placed on Academic Probation when he/she has earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0, including only grades earned in this District. Part-time students become subject to these probation regulations after they have enrolled in an accumulated total of 12 semester units of Yuba Community College District classes.
  • Progress Probation: A student who has enrolled, beginning in fall 1981, in a total of at least 12 semester units of Yuba Community College District classes as shown on the official academic record shall be placed on Progress Probation when the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of “W”, “I” and”NP” grades drop below 50% of the accumulated units of enrollment as shown on the official academic record.

When will I receive confirmation regarding my graduation petition status?

Students will receive a letter stating the preliminary evaluation of their graduation petition approximately three weeks after the deadline to petition for graduation.

When will I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed approximately two months after the end of the term that the student has submitted to graduate.

When will grades be posted?

Grades are due three working days after the last day of classes. After receiving at least 90% of the grades, the Admissions & Records Office will process the grades and post them to students’ transcripts.  This process can take up to four weeks.  Students can view their grades through WebAdvisor as report cards are not mailed.

What should I do when the class I want to take is closed?

If the class is closed and there is space on the waiting list, you can choose to be placed on the waiting list.  Be sure to attend the first class meeting to find out if you have been officially added or will be added to the class. If you are added to the class, obtain an Add Card and bring it to the Admissions & Records Office to be officially added.

If the class is closed and the waiting list is also closed/full, you may attend the class on the first day. If the instructor drops some students, seats may become available and it is possible that the instructor will give you an Add Card. You have to bring the Add Card to the Admissions & Records Office for you to be officially registered. However, if the instructor does not add any additional students, you should try and find another course that fits your schedule at that time.

What is the maximum number of units I can take?

The college policy for the maximum number of units per semester is 19. The maximum number of units per summer session is 8.  Students wishing to take more than 19 units during a semester or more than 8 units during a summer session must see a Counselor. The average student load is 16 units per semester.

How many units must I take to be considered a full-time student?

If you are enrolled in 12 or more units in Fall or Spring semester, you are considered a full-time student. During the summer session, you are considered a full-time student if you are enrolled in 6 or more units.

How can I Audit a Course?

Students can audit a course if they fall under one of the following guidelines adopted by the Yuba Community College District as outlines by Title V Education Code section 76370.

  • Students auditing a course must be eligible for admission to the College as regularly enrolled students.
  • Students enrolling for credit will have priority in all credit classes. Auditing will be permitted only at the conclusion of the late registration period.
  • Auditors will complete an Auditor Application Form, which must be signed by appropriate instructor. Faculty members instructing audit eligible courses have the right to refuse auditors.
  • The completed Audit Application Form must be filed with the Admissions & Records Office.
  • A nonrefundable audit fee of $15 per unit will be payable at the time of enrollment by the auditor.
  • Auditors will not be charged the regular Enrollment Fee which is paid for credit enrollment, and the Nonresident Tuition Fee will not apply.
  • Course costs will be charged to auditors where appropriate.
  • Auditors must meet course prerequisites.
  • Auditors must purchase parking permits.
  • No transcript of record will be maintained for audited classes.
  • Auditors will not be counted in enrollment-based decisions about maintaining or canceling classes.
  • No transfer from audit to credit status or the reverse will be permitted.
  • Audited classes do not count toward units for any purpose, e.g., financial aid, veteran’s benefits, full-time student status.