What is Credit for Prior Learning?
To encourage and assist students in completing degree requirements, Woodland Community College may award college credit for life experience.
As defined by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, CPL is “college credit awarded for validated college-level skills and knowledge gained outside of a college classroom.” Applicable knowledge and skills may be through experiences such as:
- Military training
- Industry training
- State/federal government training
- Apprenticeships, internships, work-based learning, or other industry-based experiential learning
- Validated volunteer and civic activities (e.g. Peace Corps)
It’s important to note, CPL does not include knowledge and skills already assessed and awarded credit through formal education at regionally accredited in-state and out-of-state institutions.
What are the benefits of CPL?
By earning credit for previously attained skills and knowledge, CPL can help you save time and money on your educational path! Students have the opportunity to earn credit for a course instead of waiving a prerequisite.
Who qualifies for CPL?
Students who can provide proof of industry credentials and certifications, graduation from service academies, military training, or can demonstrate relevant work knowledge through a portfolio review or exam may qualify for Credit for Prior Learning.
How do I demonstrate that I have prior learning?
Each CPL eligibility type will have different methods of assessment. These methods include:
- Military Service Credit (military transcripts)
- Credit by Examination
- Portfolio Review (not available for all disciplines)
- Industry Certification/Accreditation or License
- Life Experience Credit
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores.
What are the fees for CPL?
There are currently no fees associated with requesting Credit for Prior Learning.
What is my next step to find out more about CPL and see if I qualify?
For students interested in CPL, complete and submit the YCCD Credit for Prior Learning petition.