Enrolling with DSPS
Qualifying for Services
Eligibility for disability-related services is in accordance with federal and state laws and California Community College policies to ensure an equitable educational opportunity. A certificated DSPS Specialist will assist in discerning if a student’s verified disability results in an educational limitation, and if the student will qualify for DSPS accommodations and/or services.
The student’s disability must substantially limit one or more major life activity and impose an “educational limitation”. An educational limitation is a disability-related limitation that prevents a student from fully benefiting from classes, activities, or services offered by the college without specific additional support, service, or accommodations.
A student must also demonstrate the potential to benefit from programs and services, demonstrate appropriate adaptive or self-help behavior, and sustain measurable academic progress.
Steps for New Students to Enroll at WCC
Getting Started with DSPS
After enrolling at WCC, a student with a disability can apply for services with DSPS by following these steps:
- Complete the DSPS Application for Services
- Complete the DSPS Intake Interview form
- Provide disability documentation (such as the DSPS Disability Verification form completed by a licensed professional, an IEP with psycho-educational report, or a doctor’s report) to the DSPS office.
- Schedule an appointment with a certificated DSPS Specialist to:
- Complete the intake process
- Arrange for appropriate academic accommodations, auxiliary aids and services based upon the educational limitations related to the disability
- Review and discuss rights and responsibilities as a DSPS student at WCC
- Learn about the supportive services available to students at WCC
Students may have to schedule a follow-up appointment if needed (for example: to receive assistive technology, submit additional paperwork, submit materials for conversion to alternate media, etc.)
Once a student is established with DSPS, services must be requested each semester.