Emergency Medical Technician
Certificates Offered: EMT-1, EMT-1 Refresher
The Emergency Medical Technician class prepares students to take the certification examination as an EMT-1 and meet State EMT-1 training standards. In addition, the class provides for review and updating of information and skills necessary for recognition and pre-hospital care of medical emergencies, satisfying State EMT-1 Refresher requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
– Students will be able to Identify and demonstrate patient trauma assessment.
– Students will be able to demonstrate different methods of proper bleeding control.
– Students will be able to identify and demonstrate the proper use of an Automatic External Defibrillator.
EMT-1 (Certificate of Training)
Required Courses Units
EMT 61 Emergency Medical Technician I ……………………..6
EMT 61 Emergency Medical Technician 9.5 units
166 lecture hours; 27 laboratory hours
The EMT program is a comprehensive curriculum for Emergency Medical Care workers in a pre-hospital environment. Practical skills training includes hands-on skills training and interactive simulations for medical emergencies and traumatic injuries. This course meets requirements of California Code of Regulations Title 22, the California EMS Authority and National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Upon successful completion, students are eligible to take the NREMT certifying examination and qualify for a California State EMT certification. Students are required to complete 24 additional hours of clinical experience outside of scheduled hours per Title 22. A mandatory orientation will be held prior to the start of class.
CONDITIONS OF ENROLLMENT:
1. Students must be 18 years of age at start of EMT course
2. Current Healthcare Provider CPR Certification
3. Provide two (2) negative TB tests (or negative chest x-ray)
4. Provide proof of immunizations for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), Varicella (or positive titer), Hepatitis B series or signed declination, Diptheria Tetanus Pertussis (Tdap), and current influenza vaccine
5. Students must have all required textbooks
6. Students must be prepared to purchase EMT uniform and additional materials on the first day of class, wear the uniform to all EMT class oriented activities (approximately $100.00).
7. Complete and provide proof of completed drug screen test and criminal background through WCC
8. Each student is required to obtain individual mal-practice insurance.
EMT-1 Refresher (Certificate of Training)
Required Courses Units
EMT 252 EMT-1A Refresher ……………………………………… 1
EMT 252 EMT Refresher 1 unit
16 lecture hours; 8 laboratory hours
Prerequisite: Satisfactory completion of EMT 61 and current CPR Certification for Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer; current certification as EMT-I
Designed to provide the student with 24 hours of Continuing Education Units including review, up-dated information, and skills assessment necessary for pre-hospital care of medical and traumatic emergencies. Satisfies National Registry and State requirements for EMT recertification.