Graduation Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is there a cost for family and friends to attend? Is there a cost for seating? 

Attendance at WCC’s Commencement ceremony is FREE. There is no cost for seating.

Can seats be reserved?

Seating is available on a first come, first serve basis.

How many people can a graduate invite? 

There is no limit on the number of people a graduate may invite.

Is there a fee for parking?

No. The day of Commencement, parking is FREE.

 Where can I purchase my cap and gown?

You can purchase your cap and gown at WCC’s Follett Bookstore in Building 200. The bookstore’s hours are:  Monday through Thursdays 9:00am to 5:00pm and Friday’s 9:00am to 1:00pm.  For more information call: (530) 661-5790.

How much does the cap and gown cost?

For Spring 2019: The complete set (gown, cap, and tassel) is $43 + tax ($46.44).

 What happens if it rains on graduation?

The Commencement ceremony will continue as scheduled. If it is raining, a decision will be made several days in advance of the ceremony to relocate it to an indoor facility. We will notify you via email if this is the case. 

How long is the graduation ceremony?

The graduation ceremony begins at 6:30pm and ends at approximately 8:30pm.

Can I participate in the Commencement ceremony if I missed the graduation petition deadline?

Yes, but your name will not be in the formal Commencement program.

How long before I receive my diploma? 

Typically 3 to 4 months after the semester ends.

Do I need to pick up my diploma or will it be mailed? 

You diploma will be mailed.  Please make sure to have an updated address on file. A change of student data request form may be filled out to update your mailing address.  If you would prefer to pick up your diploma contact Admissions and Records. 

When will it be posted on my transcripts? 

Typically 3 to 4 months after the semester ends.

After I sign up for the petition for graduation, will I receive a letter outlining the next steps? 

After the graduation petition deadline, you will receive an email, to your student account, with information your degree status. 

Who do I talk to if there is an error on my diploma? 

Contact the Admissions and Records Office at 530-661-5720.

What do I write on the graduation petition form if I only want to participate in the ceremony and still need to take classes to complete for my degree?

You don’t need to write anything on your petition. WCC’s evaluators will review your transcripts to make sure you have met the requirements for graduation. If you still need to take classes to complete your degree, your petition will roll over to the next term and Admissions and Records will notify you.

Can I participate in the graduation ceremony if I graduated in the fall semester? What do I need to do?

Yes, you can walk during the Spring Commencement. You will receive an email with further details.